Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Calling Sky Captain!
































So I was heading to my car this morning at the predawn hour of 5:50 am (yes, going to Doug's new Wednesday class -- and he even rode today!) and I look up into the dark, cloudy sky over the river towards DC, and what do I see? A blimp.

Not just a blimp, a rather large-looking blimp that is brightly illuminated and yet carries no advertising. I don't think it was a dirigible as in Sky Captain and the Hindenberg (those have a rigid structure, while blimps hold their shape only through air pressure), yet still a very eerie sight. It was still there when I got back so I snapped this picture as evidence that I am not hallucinating. Other people in class saw it too.

And now the question is, what is it doing there? is it one of the new rumored 'surveillance blimps'? They used them extensively in Athens during the Olympics.

5 comments:

Gene Cowan said...

There was a story in the paper a couple days ago about the blimp -- it's an experiment in surveillance.
On one hand, it's quite amusing in a retro way to see a blimp lazily circling in the sky. But on the other, we now have a big, fat visual reminder of the rampant paranoia and fear mongering of the current administration.
What in the hell do they think they're going to see from the blimp? Another plane coming in? That's what radar is for. Some guy driving up to a building in a U-Haul loaded with explosives? How many people are on that blimp with binoculars?
Ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Blimps! What fun! I hope they come to Silver Spring. We have a Blimpies ... does that count?

--BlimpRoBoi

Unknown said...

Politics. One of the parties is taking a tour of the surrounding area so they can later drop leaflets to the unsuspecting folks below containing their bull--er--rhetoric.

TK said...

It's way over above the eastern side of town right now; looks like it has gained altitude. I'm sure it's equipped with satellite-quality cameras so that it can pick up possible terrorist activities... like people surreptitiously picking their nose when they think no one is looking.

Gene Cowan said...

Interestingly, as i drove home via Washington Blvd beside the Pentagon, I noticed another blimp moored there at the wedge 1 corner. It was not the one that was out earlier, it was quite small -- it almost looked like a small promotional blimp you might see over some event.