Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Man for all Seasons

This movie, about how a devout Catholic (Thomas More) keeps to his beliefs, is one of my favrite historical movies, despite the fact that I am an atheist (I love watching it with 'Lady Jane' about how a young woman, in the next generation, holds to her protestant beliefs.)

I was surprised to just learn that the play (and screen adaptation) were written by an agnostic. This from Wikipedia:

The 20th-century agnostic playwright Robert Bolt portrayed More as the ultimate man of conscience in his play A Man for All Seasons, the title drawn from what Robert Whittington in 1520 wrote of him:
"More is a man of an angel's wit and singular learning. I know not his fellow. For where is the man of that gentleness, lowliness and affability? And, as time requireth, a man of marvelous mirth and pastimes, and sometime of as sad gravity. A man for all seasons."[23]

In 1966, the play was made into the successful film A Man for All Seasons directed by Fred Zinnemann, adapted for the screen by the playwright himself, and starring Paul Scofield in an Oscar-winning performance. The film won the Academy Award for Best Picture for that year.

3 comments:

auryx said...

Whoa, you're back! :) Happy New Year.

Yes I keep meaning to watch those movies, I remember you recommending them in the past.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of TV Shows. And always catch all my favorite series from this website. You can also get your favorite episode by clicking this link.

Anonymous said...

Hey you can Watch Movies Online. Just click on the link and watch your favorite movie online. I always watch my favorite movies from this source.