Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Bio in Business Cards

I freely admit to being a packrat. My attic (thank god I have an attic) is packed with crap, from old electronics to clothes, to old bills and cancelled checks, to models I will probably never get around to building.

One little thing I have saved is my business cards from just about every job I've had. I didn't get a card when I was a Library Asst. at U.Va. (come to think of it, I don't think anyone had cards) but I sure had some interesting jobs. For several months I was the acting bibliographer at the Science & Technology library, because they couldn't fill the position, and someone had to order new books. Frankly I thought I did a better job than the real bibliographer they got, who kept ordering cookbooks because his wife (who wore the pants in that relationship) liked to look at them. Cookbooks in a Sci-Tech library? I ordered a lot of astronomy, physics, and technology books. I was also assistant to the bibliographer at the Art and Architecture library... ah good times. Anyway, here's a list of the cards I do have:

  • Art Director/Production Manager (ICE, where I was also an editor/designer/network guy [anyone remember LocalTalk? I set up the one at ICE with those phone wires], though no cards for those)
  • Senior Designer (my first job in DC)
  • Technical Manager (Service Bureau)
  • IT Manager (Printer)
  • Digital Manager (Repro firm who bought the printer)
  • Rocket Scientist (The Mac consulting place; the owner had a sense of humor on paper at least)
  • Technical Manager (another repro firm)
  • ??? (the new place)


Anyway, back to my clutter. I was thinking it was time to finally get rid of the cancelled checks and credit card statements from, oh, 11+ years ago, and thinking that it would take forever to shred them all (and probably burn out my shredder), then I though.... Hmmm... I have a fireplace...

First cold day of the fall and it's a purging party!

2 comments:

Gene Cowan said...

Since I was the guy designing the business cards, I once rounded out a form by printing up a batch for me that said "Ironically Color-Blind Art Director."

diablo said...

ah, the job title. so important for salary considerations and job prospects! i've been a production manager for more years that i can remember -- with a brief, few month stint as a traffic manager in between.

in my new job, i've been "tasked" to come up with a new title that covers the range of work i do from managing design / printing / manufacturing to website design and maintenance / cms and crm administrator and eventually producing some documentaries if i decide to take that on. i keep thinking i should propose something along the lines of stretched-to-thin or overworked :)