Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nightmares of Mine

Whew, last night was a bad night for the ole' subconscious. I had no less than three separate nightmare sessions. I'd wake up from one, then fall back to sleep and start up another. I'm sure it was exacerbated by the fact that it was Wednesday night, when I never sleep well, worrying about waking up for spin class. The worst was round one...

Yesterday my boss (the owner of the company) gave me her laptop so that I could migrate her files to her new laptop. Just before she handed it over, she kind of clutched it and said "I'm trusting you with this, I don't want anything to happen to it."

No pressure! So, as I told her I would, I locked it in my desk, along with her new laptop. I hid the key. So last night, what was my dream? That I came in this morning and opened my desk... and both of the computers were gone. So I woke up in a sweat and laid there, thinking of all the stupid things I had done (not taking the key home, not making sure that the desk was really, really secure, not hiding the laptops under stuff in the drawer... you know, silly paranoid stuff your mind thinks up in the middle of the night when you aren't completely awake.

The second one I don't remember, but it will come back to me.

The third one was about missing class, but not because I was late, but because I went in to teach someone an abs class and lost track of time, then was suddenly 15 mins late. And the new hardass manager was there, and there were all these disruptive people, and the bright lights were on... (spin clas is almost always done in a darkened room). Ugh!

Interestingly, there was an article in the Washington Post about Dreams, basically saying Freud and Jung were full of it, and youre dreams are not symbolic of anything.
So away with the repressed urges and surreal symbols. Today few psychologists believe that dreams talk to us in codes of any kind, and the action in dream research is empirical rather than broadly theoretical.

I think that they are what you make of them, and it doesn't hurt to pay attention to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When dreams are just random images and bits from daily life, I can believe that they're just brain static. But when they actually tell stories, I'm more inclined to believe that you brain is holding a conversation with itself, and might show you something about what's really bothering you. And also I've founds things in dreams, once or twice, that I couldn't remember where they were when I was awake.