Saturday, December 08, 2007

Coffee, Tea, or Target?

(Sorry, I can't make the diacritical mark in the header, but you have to say it Targét like "Tarjay").

Anyway, so I allowed myself to be drawn in by the $30 rebate and bought a Tassimo coffee machine. I like espresso, and even a latte once in awhile, or the ability to make just one cup of coffee quickly (not that my little Braun 4-cup machine hasn't been a trooper for the last 10+ years...) So, I got the thing home yesterday, and for some reason I naively assumed there would be a few sample T-disks in it. No way. I had a new toy and I couldn't play with it! Gene had mentioned that Target had the disks, so I vowed to go down there today after Spin class, since spin class was sort of half way there anyway.

I have decided that I'm not a big fan of Target. True it is getting close to Xmas, so maybe it's not normal. But at 11 am, the lot at the big-box strip mall in Alexandria was nearly full. People were pushy. I got a cart, left it for less than 30 seconds, and someone took it. They didn't have any decent T-discs (just some Maxwell House ones, which I bought one of just cause I had to try it). Finally, I really don't like the credit-card reader at the checkout: it sucks your card inside it! I was like 'where the f**k is my Amex card?' I wonder if it has a feature that cuts your card in half if your credit is bad? Anyway, I abandoned plans to go to any other store, got in the car and drove home as fast as I could, then ordered some T-discs from Amazon.

Later I went to the gym and did another 1/2 hour of cardio and some weights, then stopped by the Whole Foods. It was Handsome-Asian-man-in-pea-coat-with girlfriend-of-indeterminate-but-not-asian-race night! I kid you not, there were THREE of them, and one hot Asian guy in a Pea-coat by himself but with a big old ring on. Sigh.

Now I'm at home, taking a little break from a writing project I am trying furiously to finish by the end of the year. R, has actually been chatting with me a lot more, and has wanted to get together to 'watch a movie' the last couple Fridays nights. I haven't felt up to that because a) my place is a mess, and b) I've put on a couple of pounds and I feel fat. I could really lose at least five, and could stand to do more weights. It's frustrating that I know I have some decent abs (how could I not from teaching these classes?) but they are buried under a layer of fat. Grrr. Anyway, I asked R. if he wanted to see The Golden Compass but he's vacillating on that. It's not like it has to be a date or anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sucks that you have to have cartridge. WHat if you want to taste something different from other coffee beans? Can you make the cartridge by yourself?

Well, I was told "officially" on my blog that I have to lose weight by this french guy so your weight problem is nothing compared to that. :) Have a good weekend!

Gene Cowan said...

That Target at Potomac Yards is always swamped, probably because it's the only one that serves Arlington, DC, and Alexandria. Here in San Jose there are Targets every 5 miles, like Starbucks.
Target carries the low-end Tassimo discs, Maxwell House and Seattle's Best. Bed Bath & Beyond has the Gevalia ones, which are twice as expensive. You can also order them online direct from Tassimo.
What I like about the machine is that it does all kinds of drinks. Coffee, espresso, latte, cappucino, tea (Earl Grey, black, green), hot chocolate. And you can mix and match them to create your own drinks. 1 espresso disc + 1 milk disc + 1 hot chocolate = mocha!

Anonymous said...

go to the Target in Falls Church. It is much more civilized and less riff raff.