Loyal readers (I know there are a few of you still out there) will remember my obsession with Mysterious Asian Man a few years back. Actually I wouldn't call it an obsession; but there was just something compelling and interesting about him to me.
Today at the G-town club I encountered a totally different guy, who nevertheless was fascinating to observe as he got dressed. I felt a little bad because when I first saw him as I walked into the locker room, he was kind of stumbling as he pulled on his boxer shorts. That's always embarrassing: losing your balance when your pulling on your underwear. He was a young white guy, maybe in his mid-20's, short, a little stocky, with nearly-black hair, very dark eyes and fair skin. I wondered what his racial background might be with that combination.
I tried to make it a point not to stare, but there was something about the extra-careful, but sort of fretting way he was dressing that made me wonder if this was not a typical routine for him, like maybe he was preparing for an interview. He had a huge clear plastic travel bag of toiletries. He was dressing in a suit, and when he put his pants on, the right-rear pocket was inside out. I was tempted to warn him, but the next time I looked he'd fixed it himself. Then he combed his previously-wild hair (not a very flattering style) and spent an inordinate amount of time at the mirror arranging the odd white-with-orange-trim handkerchief in his breast pocket. All through this he kept glancing over at me (while I was changing into my spin gear, not with an expression like he thought I was staring, but more curious. Finally he put on a pair of tennis shoes (I assume he had dress shoes to change into). Finally, in a kind of cute boyish gesture, he stood on the bench on his toes to see up to the back of the shelf in his locker and fished out a wallet or something. I was half-afraid he was going to tip the bench over. Well wherever he was headed, I hope it goes well for him.
In other news, I think I must have a sinus infection. It's been nearly two weeks, and I still have a cough and drainage, and when I get home at night I pretty much go to bed and go right to sleep. I'm gonna take my sister's advice and try to do the neti pot more often, and if not better next week, maybe see if the Dr. thinks it might be bacterial and need antibiotics.
No comments:
Post a Comment