Friday, February 06, 2004

Water, water, water, part deux.

Sedzed has suggested that my trainer's water estimate is way off, and that drinking that much could lead to something called hyponatremia. (Though with all the salty snacks I consume, I don't think I'm in much danger unless I put the garden hose to my mouth and... insert cartoon image here.

So I did some more web research and didn't find much. One guy says half your body's poundage in ounces of water a day. Hm, maybe I heard my trainer wrong. But she DID say if you drank caffeine and alcohol to double it. And she mentioned having a gallon jug at home that she made herself finish by noon.

Just about everyone else sticks to the age-old eight 8-oz glasses a day. That would be 64 oz or half a gallon.

But that's overly general, and aimed at your average sedentary person. I work out for at least an hour almost every day: about 20-30 minutes of weights and 30-40 mins cardio where I work up a good sweat. On weekends I do almost 2 full hours of hard cycling. I drink at least four 'cups' (2 mugs) of coffee a day and have at least a glass of wine or two every day.

So who knows where I'm supposed to be, but I'm sure that 64 oz is not enough. I try to drink 1-2 of my 16oz cups of water in the morning, 2-3 during work, a full 20oz water bottle at the gym, and 1-2 when I get home. That's 84-132 a day. Is that enough? One way to supposedly tell is if your pee is clear or nearly so. Mine usually is, except for thhe first couple hours after I take my multivitamin, when it is this interesting lurid bright yellow-green color--my body dumping the vitamins it can't absorb that fast I asssume.

No comments: