Thursday, July 14, 2005

Rupert Everett as Sherlock Holmes!

I have loved the openly gay Rupert Everett ever since first seeing him in one of my all-time favorite movies, Another Country.

And now he has done one of my favorite fictional characters, Sherlock Holmes, and the production will be coming to Masterpiece Theater! There is talk of more episodes as well.

Granted, Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Holmes really was wonderful, but I'm excited to see Rupert give it a shot.

I learned about this in the Washington Post this morning, in Lisa DeMoraes' column. here's a funny-as-ever excerpt:

Rupert Everett will star as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC's latest incarnation of the Victorian super-sleuth. The adaptation of "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking" will air as part of "Masterpiece Theatre," PBS co-chief programming exec Coby Atlas announced Wednesday.

Sure, this poses a challenge for PBS, which must now find a "Masterpiece Theatre" production starring a homophobic actor to preserve that perfect "balance" demanded by Corporation for Public Broadcasting chief Ken Tomlinson. And yet we were thrilled to hear that Everett would take on the role held for years on PBS by Jeremy Brett and hope Everett does several more episodes.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, can't wait to see Rupert in the role! (And oh man, it's been years since I've seen Another Country. Must watch it again sometime.)

xolondon said...

Another Country just came out on DVD and has an interesting bonus where you see a scene performed from the stage play with Rupert and Brannagh, instead of Colin Firth. V good. I saw that movie in college on VHS and reacted so strongly esp to the scene where Rupert meets Carey Elwes in the restaurant. Swooon!