Thursday, June 26, 2008

Software Updates

As fellow Mac users know, Apple is frequently updating its software. I've been clinging to 10.4.10 for months now, because—after having been a Mac Tech for 8 months--any kind of update brings risks with it. (On some things, I have learned it is not best to be an early-adopter). And when I updated my work Mac, Safari 3 went all crashy for awhile. My iMac at home is also the very last version of the PPC Mac before they went intel.

But Apple changed .Mac to (the all too cutesy) MobileMe and along with that, apparently changed how you connect to your iDisk. I mounted it last night to make a few changes to my web site, and when I tried to unmount, I got the Spinning Rainbow Beachball of Doom for like 10 minutes (I try to be patient, really). I finally had to do a hard restart, which I hate. Then I read that you have to be using 10.4.11 to have MobileMe work properly. Well, crap.

So I gritted my teeth and ran the update, muttering the mantra "It takes a lot longer to boot up after an update... don't panic... It takes a lot longer to boot up after an update... don't panic... It takes a lot longer to boot up after an update... don't panic..." And I reminded myself I have my whole startup disk cloned onto an external drive should the worst happen.

Well, it seemed to come up fine (though for a few minutes the fans went into full-power wind-tunnel mode, which can be a bit alarming, because it means your processor is getting way hot, and I lost a bunch of widgets, what's up with that?) Tonight I'll see if the iDisk connection works okay now. And Repair Permissions of course.

No comments: