For awhile my boyband fever was pretty bad; now it's just an ongoing fascination. 'N Sync, Backstreet Boys, SoulDecision, 98 Degrees... all the big ones. And you can bet they are hogging a big percentage of the disk space on my iPod. yes I actually like the music. I like the vapid songs that were cranked out by the 'Swedish Music Factory.' I also like Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Mahler, so go figure. But I digress. To my surprise, soon after I got hooked on these crooning cuties, I discovered that they were the objects of another interest of mine, a naughty little literature genre called 'Slash.' I'd encountered it before, the subjects mainly from Star Trek. But then I stumbled upon a whole new sub-genre: boyband slash. Oh my.
What I find kind of interesting (and as yet inexplicable) is that most of the slash I had seen before (mostly m/m, incidentally) was written by women. However the new boyband slash was written almost exclusively by gay boys/men. I'm sure there's a fascinating psychology there somwehere. There's also a distinction that's being drawn between 'fictional character slash' (e.g., Harry Kim/Tom Paris; Dar/Tao) vs. 'real people slash' (e.g., Justin/JC). There's probably a potential legal issue (though I'd think it was worse in legal terms using a copyrighted fictional character... but hey I'm not a lawyer).
The point of this whole ramble is that I recently found this guy's site and thought it was unusually well-written. And some of the stories are even "G" rated. This This Justin/JC one while NOT G-rated, has a very nice opening page.
No comments:
Post a Comment