Thursday, May 09, 2002

A very interesting issue of Discover Magazine this month.

(I would give you a link but they don't have the current issue on the website yet). There's an article about 'bad astronomy' talking about (among other things) a FOX News show that suggested that the entire Apollo program was a hoax. Discover had this link to a site where an astronomer debunks bad reporting, etc.

Another article was titled "Does the universe exist if we're not looking?" This gets into the whole mind-boggling concepts of quantum physics and the behavior of light waves/particles. The classic hypothetical example of the whole observed/unobserved behavior is the Schrodinger's Cat experiment. The idea is, basically, the cat is neither alive nor dead until we actually look to see if it is alive or dead. (I'm not sure where the cat's worldview comes into play.)

Personally I find it difficult to believe that light behaves a certain way depending on whether or not we are observing it; it seems more likely to me that we're just missing something very basic somewhere.

And don't get me started on Dark Matter.

No comments: