Friday, July 22, 2005

Subway searches

Gene laments the loss of another freedom here, but as far as I'm concerned it's not much different than the airline terminal searches.

When I was in Italy like 15 years ago, when we were leaving Rome, I was pulled aside without warning as I entered the Leonardo da Vinci airport. My friend, who was allowed to pass, turned around and had the most priceless look of "WTF?" on his face. A policewoman literally held a submachine gun to my head while her male counterpart searched my bag. When he found the little souvenir statue of David, he made a funny laugh/snort sound of derision, tossed it back in the bag, and they let me go.

I was also searched in the Zurich airport well before searches started here (1999), but as they explained apologetically while examining my laptop, there was a war going on not that far away.

So, no I'm not thrilled about searches, but I'm also a little nervous every time I ride the Blue/Orange Metro through the tunnel between DC and VA. Blow up a train in that tunnel and the Yellow line bridge across the Potomac and you'd cripple this city for weeks. And people are constantly on those trains with luggage, headed for National Airport.

I'm surprised they haven't started more rigorous security already; I'm more concerned about the Library record searches and related privacy issues.

It is nice that they killed the silly "30 minute Rule" though:
30-Minute Airport Rule to Be Lifted
Reagan National Policy Is Among Homeland Security Changes
By Spencer S. Hsu and Sara Kehaulani Goo
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, July 14, 2005

U.S. authorities will suspend a rule that has kept airline passengers in their seats for 30 minutes while approaching or taking off from Reagan National Airport, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced yesterday as he unveiled a broad reorganization of his fledgling department.

The unpopular 2001 restriction has been rendered obsolete by security improvements, including hardened cockpit doors and armed federal air marshals aboard Washington flights, Chertoff said. Calling the change an example of the department's new flexibility, officials said they will lift the rule next week after issuing directives to airlines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that in 2005 they don't have real-time video/x-ray/weapon detection screens that scan you when you walk by ala Total Recall. We are so behind in technology according to all the speculation "back in the old days" circa the 20th century.