Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Today's Pet Peeve:

People who block the doors on the Metro. Today we were getting on and this very large (as in round) man stepped onto the train, turned and put his back to the side panel and stopped. There was already another guy leaning against the other side, so between them they practically blocked the entire doorway. WTF? The remaining several of us had to push between them single-file. And it's not as if these guys were even getting right off at the next stop and had a reason stand by the door. What's even worse are people with their suitcases on rollers to pull the same stunt, parking their bag right in the doorway. When I got off through the opposite set of doors, the same thing happened: this very large woman refused to step out of the train to clear the doorway so we could get off; she just stood there blocking almost half the exit.

Right up there on my list of annoying Metro riders are the ones who walk right up to the fare gate and then decide it's time to start looking for their farecard/pass. So they stand there, blocking the gate and creating a backlog of people while they search through purse or pockets. These must be the same people who go to the express checkout line that says 10 items or less with 15 items in their basket, then wait until the checker has finished scanning every single item before they start looking for their checkbook.

Are these people rude, selfish, arrogant or just clueless? Miss Manners, help!

2 comments:

vuboq said...

and, THEN, they STAND ON THE LEFT on the escalators.

I vote for "selfish."

TK said...

As annoying as the standing on the left is, I can almost (almost) put that down to ignorance of 'Metro etiquette,' except for situations like last week when a train was pulling in and people were hurrying down the lower escalator, and this ass was standing on the left side talking on his cell phone saying (and I quote) "No, I didn't have lunch today, but I usually have lunch..." People were trying to push around him and he was totally oblivious. I wanted to smack the phone out of his hand and onto the tracks and scream "NO ONE F**KING CARES WHETHER YOU HAD LUNCH! GET THE F**K OUT OF THE WAY!"

Maybe I have anger issues. But my former asst. Ken used to come into work after a Metro ride and really have a tirade.

Sigh. Still, it's better than driving.