Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I'm not a Shuffler

I should have known that the iPod Shuffle was really not for me. I'm just not a 'shuffle' kind of guy. In fact, some people would even say I am a control freak.

I don't like surprises. I don't want some random song to just start playing. I want to know what's coming next. Or, better yet, I want my entire vast music library (from Duran Duran to Gregorian Chant to the soundrack to Camelot to the collected works of *N Sync to Haydn string quartets to Pet Shop Boys to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos to Cher to all of my Spin mixes) all at my clickwheel fingertips. I have yet to set my iPod Shuffle to 'shuffle' except by accident. I never had the old 5 gig iPod on shuffle; but I would often be walking to work and think Hey, I really want to hear (for instance) the Stargate theme! and there it would be.

I was thinking about this just this morning when I was emailing my friend Ruth and talking about how I don't want to play online games like EverQuest with other people. I really liked The Sims but I remember when Vince told me that there was going to be an onlne version, I said I'd never play it. Everyone said it would be a big hit, I said I didn't know, because then you have to play your little Sims in some other peoples' world. I liked having all my Sims (mostly happy little gay Sim couples) in MY world where I can control them.

I was kind of surprised that Sims online was a big flop; maybe other Sims players felt the same way as me.

No comments: