Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Dilemma

I was vexed to read the review in today's for War of the Worlds -- not because it was a bad revew, but because it was a glowing one. I like Steven Spielberg, and the story of WotW is an immortal one. But I hate, hate, hate that homophobic, bunk-spouting, psychiatry-bashing, Mission:Impossible character-ruining (Jim Phelps would never betray his country!) Tom Cruise. Did I mention that I hate him?

So, what to do? I don't want to break my boycott, but I want to see this movie. Or maybe I should just wait for Fantastic Four. Flame on!

6 comments:

Gene Cowan said...

Now that Tommy's mindcontrolled brain is fully on display (one can only assume that he was always like this, but his now-fired publicist must have kept it under wraps), I have made a pledge to avoid his films and those of other celebrity scientologists -- Nicole Kidman, are you listening?
Not that the loss of my $9.50 once or twice a year will make any material difference to them or their "church," but it makes me feel a bit better.
While the reviews of WOTW are generally good, it's also been pointed out that the movie, which is not necessarily true to the book (especially in that the aliens are not from Mars), is more skewed toward -- you guessed it -- the sci-fi origins of scientology.
I predict that this will be Tom Cruise's last big film before his bizarre brainwashed antics destroy his career completely.

Unknown said...

Better check some more reviews. What I've been reading/hearing is decidingly mixed.

Anonymous said...

rottentomatoes.com, which compiles all the movie reviews are overwhelmingly saying it's a great movie. It's got a 79 out of 100 rating when averaging movie reviewers scores around the country.

Anonymous said...

TK, Ryan wants me to go see it tomorrow night with him. I really can't stand Tom Cruise either. Regardless, I bet that you and I will both go see it because we're suckers for sci-fi, right?

TK said...

I probably will, in spite of Cruise. I really loved A.I., and the reviewers says Speilberg handled the effects brilliantly. Most reviewers are actually saying that Cruise and the family thing is the weakest part of the movie.

(spoiler below)

Also, in the Post they mention that it's never clear if the invaders are from Mars. Actually that could neatly tie in with the fact that Mars now is dead. The Martians set this up a million years ago... clever!

Anonymous said...

well T...I'm gonna see it this weekend at some point if you wanna come with. I'm off Fri and Tues..thought i would try avoid the "hordes".