Good morning, gentle readers.
I have a Friday poll for you who have a regular commute to work. Do you drive? Take publc transportation? If the latter, how far do you walk as part of your trip? I walk a total of 20 minutes and ride the Metro for 10 (most of it in a tunnel under the Potomac River). Thursday is the exception, when I walk a total of 45 minutes in, including over the Key Bridge to Georgetown to teach my 6:30 am spin class.
Others? The Synaptic Discharge thanks you in advance for your responses.
10 comments:
I walk. About 15 minutes. Uphill. Both ways.
Drive. 20-30 minutes depending if I take the toll road or not.
I do very little walking on my commute. Thom drives me to the Pentagon City metro, then I take metro to Bethesda, where my office building is located right next to the station.
Um, Enviroboi, how can it be uphill, both ways?
I have to walk perhaps 15 feet from my house to my car. But it's a tough walk. There's no pavement involved. The drive to work is about 10 minutes depending on my fear of the local authorities. The walk from the car to the employee entrance takes perhaps an entire minute. But there are occasional obstacles like the snapping turtle the other day.
I have only a 10 yard walk out to my car from the house, but usually get sidetracked looking at some development in the garden.
Then, I'm in for a 23-25 minute commute in the car, depending on how many cellphone-clutching, schoolbus-sized-SUV-driving bitches there are out on the road that day.
I make an effort to park far from the employee entrance of our building so I have a longer trot into work, just to get those extra steps in.
I miss walking. I know you hate Tom Cruise, but I really liked how the cities were set up in Minority Report. Public trans into the central business areas, and once there, more walking was needed/encouraged.
Before I gave up, quit, and moved 3,000 miles away...
I drove from Shirlington/South Arlington to Silver Spring every day. I left the house at 9:20am to avoid traffic and because the Rock Creek Parkway was closed from 6am to 9:30am. I'd drive through Rock Creek to avoid most traffic and stop lights, and it took 45 minutes one way. In order to avoid the afternoon closure of the road, I'd have to leave for home at around 3pm.
Nice to be able to have short office hours, but it would have been nicer to have a short commute...
10 - 12 minute walk to work. Then home for lunch. Then back to work. Then home again. Total commute: 40 - 48 minutes per day.
ScottyT
2 minutes from house to my car, 8 minutes driving and I'm there.
I live in a smal town so there's no heavy traffic except now, when summer arrives lots of people come from other areas to live next to the beach.
I walk in the evenings after work, 15-20 minutes.
Before Jeff was living here, there was a period during which I walked to work, about 20 minutes. Now that we're living together, and he works up in Bethesda, I drop him off in Pentagon City, about a mile and a half in the other direction, and then double-back past the condo and on to work, about a 15-20 minute drive; I have about a 5-minute walk from the parking lot to my office. In the evening, I drive straight home, about 5-10 minutes, and then head back out to pick Jeff up at the Metro about 45 minutes later, for about a 10-minute roundtrip plus whatever waiting time is required.
Post a Comment