Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 2 Drive Home Update

Another aspect of the drives I have not mentioned.

Driving in I go through downtown, in fact I drive within half a block of my old apartment on Riggs Place in NW DC, near the gay ghetto of Dupont Circle.

Driving home last night down 13th St NW, I went through block after block of row houses, not great neighborhoods. Yes I actually checked to see that my doors were locked more than once. There were 14 homicides in DC in the last month.

Today I drove past beautiful houses that I could never afford: tudoresque mini-mansions with manicured lawns. I guess I am somewhere in the middle; I couldn't relate to either of these two worlds: black and white (and I mean extreme, not just color).

I drove back out to my little condo in Virginia, just a couple of miles over the river and in another world, of grey.

1 comment:

vuboq said...

I think the gay ghetto which you fondly remember has morphed into a heteroetto now. All the cute gay boys are in Logan Circle ;-)

except for the one who lives in Silver Spring.