Had a long IM conversation with R. last night; he'd been after me to pick a new IM icon for him, and a couple days later he still had the old one. Then, as he sometimes does, suddenly he called me. He wanted something that looked like an atom and then he said 'nukular' like our president does. I said "don't say that! It's 'noo-clear'. Bush says 'nukular'." He got irritated and said "who has the advanced degree here?" I said "so what? it's in business not science." And then he said "You don't know what my undergraduate degree is in." True, though I doubted that was in physics either. Then he said "either one is correct." And I said no, that is not correct." He was just pulling stuff out of his ass, and clearly pissed off at me for correcting him. It's not like he mispronounces a lot of words, or he has an accent. He talks like a California surfer actually; he has no Asian accent at all.
He gets weirdly defensive sometimes, and says things that I know to be untrue, just making stuff up to rationalize things. It's a little creepy. And after a half-hour phone conversation he basically hung up on me because I said I really needed to get back to work (and stop looking for an IM chat icon for him). No goodbye from him, just click. He must know that's not just a rude thing to do, but to someone who might consider himself at least a friend you've known almost a year, it's just mean and self-centered.
There's a party Saturday, thrown by the same gay couple who's party last December is where I met R. (and we went home together), He says he isn't sure if he is going, but I'm leaning more and more towards not going, because I don't want to see him there and have to witness what he gets into.
It's all very depressing.
2 comments:
That's interesting - I always thought Bush was the only person who said "nukular".
Of course, if you have an English accent like me, you don't pronounce it either way....more like, "nyoo-clee-uh" ;)
I just posted about the endless stream of people who can't seem to pronounce "nuclear."
And I also battle depression from time to time, but don't ever want to do the antidepressant shuffle again.
St. John's Wort seems to help, I guess...
Anyway, enjoying your blog.
Post a Comment