I thought I'd do a new post in response to Joel's question about how the music for class gets chosen. The short answer is: Purely at the whim of the instructor.
The long answer... Naturally the idea is to pick stuff appropriate for cycling. In training it's suggested that we generally stick to high-energy stuff, try to mix it up with types and periods somewhat. You can even buy pre-mixed spinning class CDs from the Johnny G company (the people who trademarked Spinning®).
Doug's morning class mixes have been more towards pop; the night mix had Metallica and AC/DC and other metal/hard rock stuff mostly. One guy Chris was pretty lazy: he had two dance/trance mix CDs that he would alternate week to week. Snore. Another guy had a reputation for playing 'really weird stuff -- like gregorian chant and opera.' Don't know what happened to him. Mitch usually does mostly mainstream rock with a couple of 80's songs thrown in:
Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F
Jan Hammer - Miami Vice Theme
Robyn - Show Me Love
T'Pau - Heart And Soul
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
D or A - You Spin Me Right Around
Depeche Mode - All I Ever Wanted
In The House Of Stone And Light
Vertical Horizon - I'm Still Here
BNL - Another Postcard
Dirty Vegas - Days Go By
Naturally we try to choreogrph different stuff with the different songs, (e.g., sprints and climbs and other drills) to keep it interesting. It isn't 45 minutes of just pedalling along at the same pace and resistance.
I, through the magic of iTunes, have been concocting and tweaking mixes compulsively. It's too bad that we aren't allowed to plug outside things into the speaker system or I could run it right off my iPod. Maybe I'll post some playlists as I run them.
No comments:
Post a Comment