Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Is that the Apocalyse I hear approaching?

Yes, I -- the guy who hates phones, hates talking on the phone, and tenses up when a phone rings -- think it's time to get a new wireless phone. But it's not all that surprising, because (besides the fact that my current phone is about 5 years old and has none of the following features and I am on the $17 a month 'I never use my phone' plan) I don't want to use it for talking. I want to use it for:

  • Text messaging

  • Getting and sending email

  • Bluetooth syncing with my iCal calendar and address book.

  • A camera (maybe to take up Joel on his suggestion to get a pic of College-boy Matt). But I would never stoop to trying to snap stud-boy Doug the cycling teacher...

  • And because of events like this, I'd like to have it work in the Metro, which I think limits me to Verizon.

As an aside, I thought about ditching my lanline after getting a new wireless but realized that I can't: My TiVo needs the line to call in every day and get the schedule. My TiVo talks on the phone more than I do!

The Sony Ericsson Z600 looks really cool, but I can't seem to find any service who sells it. Supposedly Verizon is offering -- or is about to offer -- the Motorola v710, and it looks okay too.

Anyone have any suggestions? Input?

Anyone?

Bueller?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh... stripe-y. me likey.

--stripeviroboi

PS. it's a gabillion degrees outside. why isn't your weather pixie in shorts ... or nekkid.

TK said...

re Weather Pixie:I know, he changes clothes but never wears shorts! :-(

Gene Cowan said...

Why doesn't your TiVo use your home internet connection, like mine does?
I got rid of my landline a while ago and use Vonage through my cable modem.

TK said...

I have a Series One TiVo (the big silver SONY box) that only works via phone as far as I know. I've been hesitant to get a newer one because I bought lifetime subscription service for the old one and I'm sure I'd have to buy it again when I get a new one.

Gene Cowan said...

I'd never buy a lifetime subscription to anything attached to a gadget. Gadgets get updated too often, and a lifetime is only a few years.
TiVo's lifetime subscription, $299, is equal to 2 years of monthly charges; I'm one year into my TiVo, and I just *know* I'm not going to keep it another year. So I pay monthly.

TK said...

Ah well, back in the day the lifetime was cheaper, like $249, equivalent to well under 2 years' subscription (I think they realized their mistake and raised it). I've had mine for about 3 years I think (and they have updated the software on it several times, adding features).

So it worked out for me.