Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Why Buy DVDs?

Actually this is just part of the larger question: why do we want to watch certain movies over and over and over? I've learned from experience that I actually absorb a tremendous amount on the first viewing of a movie; subsequent viewings don't glean a lot more data or help me catch many details missed the first time.

So why is it I could watch Star Trek: Wrath of Khan or First Contact again, even though I've probably seen the latter ten times an the former at least twenty? is it some kind of audio-visual comfort-food? It's not like the ending is going to change.

So I own the first six seasons of Stargate on DVD; I have 5 of 7 (hah hah) seasons of Voyager; and I've watched the 2-hour finale (or parts of it; the forced Chakotay/Seven romance still sticks in my craw*) now probably a dozen times. I've watched Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring probably 20 times too, including several in the theater.

So why do we like to watch the same thing over and over? Anyone? Bueller?


*what is a craw, anyway?

No comments: